When a teenager receives his driver’s license, it is often added to his parents’ car insurance. But if your parents are divorced, teenage auto insurance could be a little confusing.
Insurance companies and states have different requirements regarding additional driver coverage for an insurance policy. However, here are some tips for checking if you have a teenage driver with divorced parents:
If your child has access to driving vehicles at both parents’ homes, both parents may need to add them to their individual policies. Some companies may require parents who care for them to add the young driver to their policy. Divorced parents may want to contact their insurance company to find out what is required in their situation.
In all states, licensed drivers must have auto insurance that includes young drivers, including those with a driver’s license. If you have a teenager in your home who may be covered by your ex-spouse’s insurance, it may be a good idea to find out if your insurance covers your teenage son while driving.

auto insurance

Safe driving techniques can help all family members save money on automobile insurance. Teaming up with your ex-partner to encourage, train or even supervise your toddler can help make him a higher driver. Car accidents are the leading motive of death amongst teens, in line with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Whichever parent has insurance for their teenager, the two can set rules for using the car. Here are some suggestions:

  • Prohibit the use of mobile phones and texting while in the car.
  • Limit the number of passengers in the car when your teenager is driving.
  • Set a limit on where your daughter can take the car.
  • Encourage your child to call you at any time if you think he or another driver is not ready to drive, regardless of the situation.
  • Challenge everyone, drivers and passengers alike, to wear seat belts.

Having a young driver in the family is always an exciting time for everyone. If your family situation changes, contact your insurance agent to determine if your policy needs to be changed.