A rider’s insurance, also called a float or rider, is an optional addition to an insurance policy. A home insurance rider changes basic insurance. By purchasing a pilot for your standard coverage, you may be able to increase your coverage limits, extend coverage for specific properties, or extend coverage to cover additional threats.


Typical home insurance typically includes a number of standard protections, including:

  • House cover
  • Cover other structures
  • Personal property coverage
  • Liability insurance

Each standard type of protection will help cover the specific risks or threats listed in your policy. Each standard coverage is also subject to coverage limits and may have restrictions, exclusions, or lower limits. With a rider, you can pay more to extend your standard coverage.

Take the example of the protection of personal property. You can limit the coverage of certain valuables like jewelry. Here is an example: Suppose your home insurance has $50,000 coverage for personal property. However, their policy also states that there is a sub-limit of $1,500 on jewelry for personal property coverage. That said, if your precious jewelry is stolen or damaged by fire, for example, you will only be reimbursed up to $1,500 to have it replaced.

This is where an additional clause comes in. A common home insurance pilot called Planned Personal Property allows you to increase personal property coverage limits over a standard policy to protect certain valuables like jewelry.

Read your instructions to understand the threats covered, the coverage limits it has, and the exclusions it has. Your agent can also help you understand the coverage offered by your policy.

Common Home Insurance Clauses

Here are some common home insurance factors you can add to your policy:

Planned Personal Property Coverage

Planned seizure of personal property increases coverage for certain valuables such as jewelry, furs or antiques. As you purchase additional coverage and plan your valuable property, increase your coverage limits on your planned items (usually up to the estimated value of each item). This type of rider also protects your valuables against additional risks that a standard owner’s policy does not cover (for example, loss or misplacement of your intended items).

Water Support Cover

A standard homeowner’s policy generally does not cover water damage from a clogged drain or clogged sump pump. To do this, you need to add optional water backup coverage to your policy. Helps repair repairs for certain types of water damage. This can, for example, help cover the cost of replacing furniture or removing water after an unexpected fuse breaks your home.

Building Code Coverage

The standard home insurance in a home insurance policy will help restore repairs to your home’s existing structure to its original condition after a covered claim. However, if your home does not meet current building codes when damaged, you may have to pay the difference out of pocket to bring it into compliance. When you add optional building code coverage to your policy, you pay the additional cost of local building code compliance required to repair your home in the event of a covered loss.

Commercial Property Coverage

Not all standard home insurance plans cover your business assets. If you are a national business or need more protection for the commercial property that you keep in your home, you may want to consider adding commercial real estate to your policy. This type of optional coverage protects business items kept in your home (for example, products you want to sell).