In the Health Insurance Marketplace, college students and recent graduates have various alternatives for finding coverage.

College Grads’ Special Enrollment Period

If your student health plan is about to expire, you may be eligible for a Special Enrollment Period on the Marketplace to sign up for private health insurance.

Confirm your eligibility for a Special Enrollment Period.

If you marry or divorce, have a baby or adopt a kid, move to a new place, leave your parent’s plan, or experience another qualifying life event, you may qualify for a Special Enrollment Period.


Coverage under Medicaid and CHIP

Enrollment in Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) is open all year. You can enroll right away if you meet the requirements.

Learn how to apply for Medicaid and Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP).

Medicaid and CHIP cover some people, families, and children, as well as pregnant women, the elderly with certain incomes, and persons with disabilities. In some states, the program is open to all people earning less than a particular amount of money.


Coverage under a parent’s insurance plan

Your parent’s health insurance plan may cover you until you reach 26. Even if you’re married, don’t live at home, or aren’t financially dependent on your parents, this is true.


Catastrophic coverage

You can acquire a catastrophic health plan if you’re under 30 and don’t have a college diploma. These policies are a cost-effective approach to safeguard yourself from the high costs of worst-case events such as an accident or major sickness. They cover three main care visits per year before your deductible is met, as well as some preventive treatment.